Monday, February 27, 2006

Off to volunteer in London

I'M OFF TO LONDON SO POSTINGS MAY BECOME LESS FREQUENT FOR A WHILE (6 MONTHS)

Since graduating 9 months ago I have been looking for a job in the environmental sector, specifically a job relating to energy policy or directly to climate change. This has proved a near impossible task. Now this is a competitive industry and understandably so, but you would be amazed how hard it is jut to Volunteer somewhere! And naturally all the jobs require experience...I`m sure there is a situation like this in a book by Joseph Heller.

Anyway I`ve finally got a voluntary position with a group I have been heavily involved with since leaving uni, Campaign against Climate Change. So now I'm off to London to volunteer-this is not a cheap thing to do. Hopefully once I have this experience WWF/FOE/Greenpeace etc will at least give me an interview! It's amazingly difficult to get just that, they say 'we want someone with a passion for the subject' and then, presumably, chuck my application out because I don't have an environmental sciences masters! Phil Thornhill from CCC who I will be working for was concerned that I was over qualified for a role that basically entails helping to run the office, but the next step up from this, working with an NGO, assisting with their climate change policy is completely inaccessible...how can I show my knowledge and passion for a subject when I cant get through the door? Good old catch 22 again. Well that's life, I'll stick at it, hopefully at some point someone will decide to start paying me for my knowledge and enthusiam--just a thought.

Climate Change Action

Home furl google deliciousdel.icio.usnetvouz newsvine diggDigg This!reddit spurl Technorati

Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz

2 Comments:

At 1:52 PM, Blogger Nat Uraleza said...

Hope it goes well Calvin. Perhaps being in London we can meet up some time (only 50 mis by train to brighton!)

XX

Nat

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Calvin Jones said...

Thanks Natalia, yeah it would be good to meet up, i've just started but basically i'm keen to keep to a 9-5 routine at the office, so the weekend would be the best idea. Just drop me an e-mail if when you are thinking of visiting.

Calvin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home