Latest Climate Action Sheet: Upcomming UK Events
UPCOMING ACTIONS AND EVENTS:
1) CLIMATE CAMP NATIONAL GATHERING - LONDON, 10-11.5.08Greenpeace HQ, Canonbury Villas, London, N1 2PN. 10am-6pm.This summer the Camp for Climate Action will pitch its tents outsideKingsnorth coal-fired power station in Kent for a week of education,sustainable living and direct action. Everyone is invited to the camp,which is now part of an international movement, with eight climate campson four continents planned for this summer. Together, we will show thatthe blind pursuit of economic growth at any cost is simply insane, and isto blame for the CO2 emissions and ecosystem destruction that are causingcatastrophic climate change. Come to the gathering and get involved!www.climatecamp.org.uk
2) SAVING ICELAND IN WALES AND SCOTLAND - 7th & 9th MAY 08Aluminium smelting, even when powered by geothermal energy, emits so muchgreenhouse gas emissions that Iceland now produces 18 tons of CO2equivalent per capita, compared to the European average of 11.May 7th at 8pm - Saving Iceland will give a presentation of these issuesat The Treehouse, Baker St. Aberystwyth, and will describe theinternational direct action campaign and plans for this summer's camp inJuly. (There will be a number of vehicles going from the UK to the camp.)Come and see some of the most stunning places of beauty on earth, and helpprotect them with direct action!May 9th - Vegan banquet with live music, bar and raffle! The Banquetstarts at 7pm at Old St Pauls Hall, Edinburgh. £5 (unwaged / low income)and £7 (waged). All profit will go to funding the Scottish Saving IcelandCollective.Email; email@example.com to reserve your tickets!More info; http://www.savingiceland.org.
3) TURNING UP THE HEAT - LONDON, CARDIFF, MANCHESTER and ONLINE, 8/10/13.5.08Can big business save the planet? A series of interactive debates onclimate change and corporate power. Attend the live events or watchonline!Thursday 8 May - Can the free market stop climate change? 7:30-9:30pm atAmnesty International Human Rights Action Centre 17-25 New Inn Yard LondonEC2A 3EA.10.5.08 – ‘Will biofuels help combat climate change?’ 2:30-4:30pm CardiffUniversity, Main Building, Shandon Theatre, Park Place CF10 3AT.13.5.08 – ‘Does climate change mean we should restrict aviation &tourism?’ 7:30-9:30pm, Manchester Convention Centre, Cockcroft Theatre,Sackville Street M1 3BB.To book your free place and to register to watch online please go tohttp://www.wdm.org.uk/heat or call 020 7820 4900 for more information.
4) BIG BLETHER 6 - GLASGOW, 9-11.5.08Talamh Life Centre, Near Glasgow.BB is a meeting place for activists to bring and share ideas, informationand enthusiasm and to create action out of inspiration. Everyone iswelcome to participate and contribute - big or small. There will beworkshops on Saturday and Sunday, including everything from climate changeissues, creative campaigning and transition towns to nuclear resistance,yoga and woodland crafts. BB is a non-profit organisation and entrancewill be by donation. www.bigblether.org.uk
5) CLIMATE CAMP SPEAKERS' TRAINING - MANCHESTER, 17.5.08If you would like to talk to people about the Climate Camp and helpinspire hundreds of people to come this year, then this training is foryou. The networking team in conjunction with COIN (http://coinet.org.uk/)and TRAPESE (http://trapese.clearerchannel.org/) have designed a shortpresentation/ workshop that anyone can give to groups interested in comingto the camp.10:30 till 5:30pm.Contact; firstname.lastname@example.org to book your place.
6) MAKE A NOISE! - LONDON, 31.5.08An agenda for colossal airport expansion and colossal climate changedemands a colossal response. You're invited to a carnival on Saturday 31stMay, which will make its way from Hatton Cross Tube Station (PiccadillyLine, 12pm) to Sipson, the village that will be wiped out if Heathrowexpansion goes ahead. At the end, you'll have the chance to help form agreat big NO! spelt out by human bodies. Organisers hope to set a newworld record for the biggest and loudest NO! in the world.http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/blog/climate/make-a-noise-20080408
7) CLIMATE ACTION WITH A BITE! - NATIONAL, 3.6.08The food we eat contributes up to a third of the emissions poisoning theplanet. It's time for a detox! Climate action starts on your dinner plate,at the supermarket, on your allotment and in your back yard, at the fooddistribution centres, down on the farm, in your high street, at theairport and the lorry park. Whatever your tastes, there's something foreveryone on this action menu! Local food markets, free food stalls,workshops and film showings, street theatre, info stalls, protests anddirect action, cooking demonstrations, allotment shows. Get creative andget involved!This Day of Action on Climate Change has been called by the Network forClimate Action in co-operation with the Rising Tide Network and the Campfor Climate Action. It has been planned to coincide with The UN Conferenceon World Food Security and Climate Change, which runs from 3rd to 5thJune.Please email; foodNO@SPAMdaysofclimateaction.org.uk for further info.
Labels: uk grass-roots activism
Home del.icio.us Digg This!