Sign petition to support contraction and convergence and carbon rationing.
The petition is on the 10 Downing Street website, please sign it if you live in the uk and make it clear that there is support for these measures.
"The best indicator of whether a person truly grasps the scale of the global climate crisis is not wether they drive a hybrid car or offset their flightd, nor wether they subscribe to the Ecologist or plan to attach a wind turbine to their house. The most reliable indicator is whether they support carbon rationing."
More on carbon trading can be found on the carbon rationing action group website or in this short overviewby the ECI in Oxford. More on Contraction and Convergence can be found in this very affordable short guide or on this website.
The petition has been highlighted by the following blogs, they are mainly green uk blogs, have a browse. If you blog about this then please link to this article and let me know, I will place a recipricol link here.
Friends of the Earth Falkirk
Charlie Bolton's Southville blog
Peak Oil and Simpol
Green Party UK Blog
Hybrid Vehicle News
The petition states that:
1. We believe Climate Change is one of the most serious threats to mankind, and to biodiversity on this planet, and that rapid action is required.
2. We believe, we need a global cut in emissions of 60% by 2030, and that this is likely to require a 90% cut in UK emissions by 2030.
3. We believe, the fundamental international framework that can deliver these cuts is Contraction and Convergence. We urge the government to campaign tirelessly at an international level for the adoption of Contraction and Convergence. We believe this approach of sharing emssions fairly per capita worldwide, and a process of aligning all nations to that is vital.
4. We believe that supporting C&C in the UK requires adoption of carbon rationing, with a tradeable ability, not green taxation.
5. We believe, green taxation will alienate much of society and will be unpopular with many of the people whose emissions we seek to lower. Green taxes will hurt poorer people more than the rich. Green taxes will not enforce reductions. Green taxes take away personal choice in how we live our lives.
6. We believe, by implementing carbon rationing with binding targets we can force the country to only use its share, rewarding those who have spare ration, and allowing an element of personal choice in how a person spends their ration.
7. We believe, we must implement rationing with a trading ability as otherwise there will simply be a black market.
8. We believe, carbon rationing can bring personal and business emissions within an overall target and ensure fairness between interests of corporations and citizens.
9. We believe supporting these frameworks we need incentives for energy efficiency in the household, and for the use of renewable energy sources.
10. We believe we need regulation for businesses to drive changes in fuel consumption, energy efficiency, food miles etc.
Save This Page as a del.icio.us favourite
Home del.icio.us Digg This!